CINEMAS

cinemas

katanning cinemas

KING’S HALL

Aberdeen St, Katanning

Holly’s shed faced Aberdeen Street, but with a postal address in Austral Terrace. it was located behind the Mechanics Institute but slightly closer to Clive St.

About 1909, this shed was converted into a roller skating rink, with a jarrah floor. In August 1912, J.A. Punch, who was managing Kings Pictures, moved from the Mechanics Institute to this roller skating rink, which had been converted for films, and renamed it Kings Hall.

For some time Kings Pictures operated there in competition with various managements at the Mechanics Institute, though on at least one occasion (in October 1916) the Mechanics Institute exhibitor screened in the King’s Hall while the Institute was otherwise occupied (by a performance of The Mikado).

Kings Pictures was taken over by Mr Lambert in August 1915, and it is not clear when regular screenings ceased in the hall.

In 1997 the building, faced with modern bricks, was still standing, though difficult to recognise as Kings Hall. The hall was later used by Ron and Leanne Wake for storage but was burnt down by arsonists around 2005. The only sign of the hall now is a concrete slab behind the original Dalgety’s store which faces Austral Terrace.

Sources:

  • Cinemaweb
  • Merle Bignell, A Place to Meet: a history of the Shire of Katanning,
    University of Western Australia Press, 1981, p.248?
  • Great Southern Herald 1912-1916
  • Informant: Ainslie Evans (Katanning, 20 August 1997)

 

 

Back to HOME Page

CINEMAS

cinemas     cinemas