Time Line

lost katanning time line

lost katanning lions club time line timelineIt’s a large file – please be patient.

.

1835
John Septimus Roe explored the area.

1840’s
Sheep farmers from York and Beverley began to move flocks toward the region including Elijah
Quartermaine & Thomas Haddleton.
Sandalwood cutters were also operating in area.

1845
Sandalwood exported to China & Singapore.

1847
System of grazing leases introduced. Licenses for sandalwood introduced.

1848
Perth to Albany road surveyed through Kojonup to the west of Katanning area.

1852
Thomas Haddleton leased land in region. Elijah Quartermaine purchased four hectares naming it “Yowanup” (or “Yowangup”). It was the first land purchased in Katanning, still owned and farmed by family in 2015. He built a house built in 1860.

1864
Thomas Haddleton (a former Parkhurst boy) purchased land and named it “Coompatine”. It is still owned by family in 2015.

1865
Terrance McKenna, a member of the Pensioner Guard, appointed as Police Officer at Twonkwillingup, later to be known as the Police Pools. He left after two years and purchased farming land at Arthur River. His daughter Alice, married Thomas Haddleton.

1867
William Grover was the second policeman to be stationed at Police Pools.

1868
Grover left the police to purchase land known as “Springfield” which he renamed “Indinup”, and this property is still owned by family in 2016.

1870
Elijah Quartermaine built brick and iron home at “Yowanup”.
Mallet bark was being exported to Germany. This year also saw an influx of new settlers which included Michael Cronin at “Glencoe”.
In this decade Haddleton expanded his holding “Coompatine” to approx. 31,000 acres whilst Quartermaine held leases of over 113,000 acres.
Kojonup and Eticup, west of Broomehill, were still the main trading centres (no Katanning at this point).

1873
Last policeman was permanently stationed at Kojonup and Police Pools was deserted.

1879
Haddleton family home built at “Coompatine”.

1880
The settlement of Katanning came into being.

1888
Frederick Piesse and brother Charles were planning to build a permanent store in the area with the firm of F & C Piesse founded in Katanning.

1889
Katanning & Broomehill were designated town-sites with Katanning as a company town.
The railway was completed from Beverley to Albany. Construction started at both ends and joined about 3kms north of Katanning town-site. First passenger train ran from Perth to Albany and the Railway station was built (architect George Temple Pool).
WA Land Co resumed land which had been leased for many years to local sheep farmers. Land was given to the WA Land Co for the construction of the Great Southern Railway. All pastoral leases were cancelled in order for the Company to take up its land.
Piesse Bros decided to build the flour mill in Katanning.
Katanning Hotel in Austral Terrace, also built by the Piesse Bros, opened.
Bob and Elijah Bell along with Thomas Haddleton were carting sandalwood.
The first cricket club was formed in town.
First clearing sale of plant, horses and equipment from the building of Piesse’s dam, which was originally built for railway engines but the water was unsatisfactory, was held. Condensers were installed in the dam and the water was used in the flour mill.

1890
The first school commenced in Katanning with Miss Mary Bell the first teacher. Classes were held in the kitchen of the railway station 16 children in attendance.
Families in district at this time included, Bell, Noonan, Beeck, Cronin, Quartermaine, Grover and Haddleton.
Katanning and Broomehill designated town-sites. Piesse Cordial Factory opened. F.H. Piesse elected to Parliament, soon to be Minister for Railways.
The years 1890/1891 were considered drought years.

1891
The local agricultural district was surveyed by JH Lefroy.
The Piesse Bros. Flour Mill was completed and began operation. They purchased 8,000 bags of wheat, 1,500 of which were locally grown.
Electricity supplied to all Piesse buildings from the Mill’s power plant.  Katanning had electric street lights, claimed to be the first in West Australia.
The Union Bank connected to power and the first Bank in Western Australia to use electricity.
An aerated water factory was built by Piesse in Austral Terrace.
H & C Severin purchased land from WA Land Co.
The Royal Exchange Hotel was built and was known as the Railway for a short time.
Alex Thomson started his building company in Katanning.
Police quarters were built with G.T. Pool the architect.
First Broomehill Agricultural Show was held but was later moved to Katanning.

1892
Katanning Brickworks were established.
Katanning’s first medical doctor, Dr. House, commenced practice. The car purchased by Dr House was one of only three cars in the State of W.A. at that time.
Construction on the first Government Hospital commenced in Amherst St (unit accommodation in 2016) and was built by architects Poole & Beasley.
The first Katanning horse race meeting was held.
Katanning and Broomehill were excised from the Kojonup district and local government commenced in Katanning.

1893
The first St Patrick’s Catholic Church was built in Britannia St.
The first election was held for the Katanning Road Board.
The Great Southern Vine and Fruit Growing Association was formed in Katanning.
The4 first stump jump plow was introduced in the area.
The Holland Track, from Broomehill to Coolgardie, was created for gold prospectors (including Michael Cronin) and as a shorter freight route from Albany to the goldfields.

1894
First Government School was built and is now the Katanning Historical Society Museum.
The Mechanics Institute building was constructed and is still in use by the Institute in 2006.

1896
Marracoonda government school built.
Katanning Agricultural Hall started (designed by J Herbert Eales) next to and including some of Mechanic Institute in Austral Terrace (later named ‘The Town Hall’).
The local Baptist community was active in the district.
The Broomehill and Katanning Agricultural Societies combined to create the Great Southern Agricultural Society.

1897
Katanning Hotel in Austral Terrace burnt down and rebuilt.
The Ladyman family settled at Carrolup.

1898
Katanning officially gazetted as a town of the State of Western Australia.
Construction of the Katanning Hotel was completed (called the Unit Hotel from 1970 to 2006).
Warren Bros settled at Badgebup and the Anglican Church was completed.

1899
Cartmeticup Baptist Church and government school were built.

1901
Katanning’s population was between 200 and 300.
Katanning newspaper, the “Great Southern Herald”, printed for the first time.
The first football was played – called Victorian Rules – with two teams playing in the Albany competition.
The first members of the Kowald family settled in the district and the first Post Office opened.

1902
“Kobeelya”, the home of FH Piesse was constructed. “Kobeelya” means place of peace.
The Katanning Football Association began with colours red and blue.
The National Bank opened in its present location on the corner of Clive Street and Austral Terrace.
Pioneer Thomas Haddleton died.

1903
The Baptist Church at Marracoonda, the Katanning Masonic Lodge, and the Moojebing store were built. Moojebing Estate built by Wesley Malley (2016 home and farm of Stade family).
The Moojebing store and residence were built by John Day and plans are currently being made for restoration of old home at Moojebing Estate.
The Katanning Golf Club opened.

1904
The second Rabbit Proof Fence erected.
The sale of mallet bark was the main product from district which was used in the tanning industry. Bark was still being stripped in 1950.
A Bill was passed in State Parliament to allow FH Piesse to supply electricity to the town from the Flour Mill’s power station.
Piesse erected winery (the ruins are still in situ).
R.L. Richardson took over the Piesse store, alongside the mill in Katanning, and at Woodanilling.
The two-storey Federal Hotel was built in Clive St.
Anderson Bros came to “Goblup” and renamed it “Condeena”.

1905
The Lutheran and Methodist churches were constructed (in 2006 the Methodist Church was used as Autumn Club seniors centre, and is now part of the Katanning Museum in Richardson St.).
Another Piesse home, “Kulal”, was built in Clive St while the Anderson family built at “Illareen” (in 2016 the family is still farming).
The “White House” in Clive St built by Alex Thomson (2016 Kimberly Lodge and Reception Centre).
Albert Piesse started A.E Piesse and Company on the corner of Austral Terrace and Albion Street.

1906
The Woodanilling Road Board was formed.
The Presbyterian Church was built (now the Uniting Church).
Fire destroyed buildings in Austral Terrace, including the Great Southern Herald’, which continued to operate in a shed in the back of the Flour Mill before moving back to rebuilt premises.

1907
The railway from Katanning to Kojonup was commenced – 32.9 miles at 1707 Pounds per mile.
Katanning Stock & Trading Co. was formed from AE Piesse and Co and commenced operations in the same premises. It is Katanning’s oldest still operating business on its original site.

1908
Daisy Bates (born O’Dwyer Hunt in Ireland in 1861, died 1951) was working in the district with aboriginals out of Police Pools.

1909
The “Bank Building” in Clive St was built by Harris but was never used as a bank.
W.P. Bird settled here – founder of CP Bird & Associates in 1922. It was later to become Bird Cameron, RSM Bird Cameron, and now RSM Accountancy Firm, which is still operating here.

1910
A distillery was built in the Piesse vineyard.
Construction of King George Hostel, designed by Summerhayes & Boas, was commenced in Austral Terrace.
A homestead built on “Indinup” by the Grovers and the Bank of New South Wales (now Westpac) started in Albion St. It was subsequently moved to dedicated premises in Clive St.

1911
“Brockhurst” hospital was built in Amherst St with Dr House in charge.
The ANZ Bank was built in Clive St. The bank has now moved to modern premises further along Clive Street.

1912
The Katanning to Nyabing railway was now operating.
F.H. Piesse died.
A residence was built in Blantyre Street for George McLeod, a noted local hotelier.
The Katanning Club built in Amherst St.

1913
King George Hostel, built in Austral Terrace, was opened.
A.E. Piesse elected MLA.

1914
Italian sculptor Porceilli was contracted to make a brass statue of FH Piesse, although it was not erected until after WWI, in Austral Terrace.
The Katanning Club building was completed (the club amalgamated with the Marloo Club in 1985).
Carrolup was being used as an Aboriginal Reserve under the Kojonup Road Board.
The Southern Districts Advocate newspaper was started by George Doak Snr. in Albion Street.
WW1 – 1500 enlisted from Katanning – 150 died.

1916
Katanning Farmers Co-op was established (this was not the BKW Co-op).
The local water supply opened supplying the town from a purpose built dam.
A butter factory opened in the vicinity of the distillery.

1919
The Great Southern Sheep Breeders Association was formed and the Woodanilling
Co-op was founded.

1920
In the early 20’s the first agricultural tractors appeared. Among the many brands were Rumley, McCormack Deering, Cletrac, 2Ton Holt, Case, Hart Parr and Fordson. The latter two would possibly have been among the most used. Prior to this, steam traction engines were used to cut chaff and down trees in the bush for clearing.
In the early 20’s Wilbur Furphy established a foundry which, in time, was taken over by Les Radford and closed in the late 30’s.

1921
Katanning Flour Mill ceased under Piesse family and a new company formed of local business men to re-open the mill. The Broomehill Co-op was formed.

1922
“Kobeelya” became an Anglican boarding school for girls.
St Peters Church built at Badgebup by the Warren Family in memory of their son who was killed during the war.

1923
The new St Patrick’s Church was built in Amherst St. and the old one in Britannia Street was demolished. Crouch’s Public Accountant opened in Albion St.
Kent (Nyabing) Road Board formed after being excised from Katanning.

1925
A new two-storey government hospital was built on the current site in Adam St.

1926
The Hospital Comforts Fund started to raise money for furniture and fittings for the hospital.
“Our Lady of the Missions” nuns arrive in Katanning.
The Silver Band Hall was built in Amherst St, and was later moved to the Historical Society site in 1986.
A second storey was built on the front of the Mechanics Institute/ Town Hall.

1927
Roley (Nugget) Coombes, ultimately to become Chairman of the Reserve Bank Board, was a teacher in Katanning.

1929
Approx. 1,500 cars, trucks and motor bikes were registered in the Katanning Road Board area.

1930
The Katanning branch of the Country Women’s Association was formed.
St Rita’s Convent was built but is now Reidy House. It is currently used as state government offices.

1933
Radio Station 6WB started to broadcast, and is one of the oldest country stations in WA. It is currently owned by the Radio West network.
The Marloo Club was formed at King George Hostel.

1936
The Southern Districts Advocate Newspaper was sold to the Great Southern Herald.

1937
The Katanning Historical Society was formed. It was the first in country W.A. and the second in Western Australia.

1938
Wakes Garage opened. Wake Bros., John and Len, designed the original invention work on the Orbital Motor. This idea was subsequently taken by an employee and developed by others.

1939
In 1939 the population of Katanning numbered 2,300.
In this, the jubilee year of Katanning, the Police Pools and Railway memorials were built.
The trotting club had electric lighting installed to its race track.
The butter factory was moved to premises on Broomehill Road (the ruins are still in situ).
The town’s swimming pool was built. This was the first purpose built pool in country WA, and the first chlorinated pool in WA.
World War 2 was declared.

1940
The town’s population had risen to 3,400 and Wake’s tyre retreading commenced operating.

1942
Filmer’s Store and workshop was built on the corner of Clive and Daping Streets. Currently used as a hardware store.
City war evacuees were housed at St Rita’s Convent.

1943
Broomehill Co-op took over Smith & Sons store in Katanning to become Broomehill & Katanning District Co-op.

1944
A library was added to the Town Hall and was operated by the Mechanics Institute.

1945
Eleanor Roberts Youth Library for children opened; the first free lending library in WA.

1946
Broomehill & Katanning District Co-op amalgamated with Woodanilling Co-op to become the BKW Co-op.

1949
The Katanning Flour Mill built a power house in Albion St, powered by diesel engines to generate DC power for the mill and the town’s power supply. Previously all power was generated by steam engine at the mill itself.

1950
Carrolup Reserve closed to become Marribank Native Mission under the leadership of the Baptist Church.
Post War migrants began arriving in the area.

1951
Katanning Arts and Crafts Club was formed.

1955
The town clock was erected on the corner of Austral Terrace and Clive St to commemorate the pioneer women of the district.
Bethshan Home for the Aged established.

1957
Rotary Club of Katanning was chartered.

1958
Opening of the Comprehensive Water Supply Scheme –  water piped from Wellington Dam near Collie.
The Rotary Club erected a wishing well adjacent to the Clive St rail crossing to commemorate opening of the water scheme.

1960
State electricity came to the area, with AC power generated from at the Collie coalfields.
Co-operative Bulk Handling expanded its grain bins to handle bulk grain.
Strathfield Drive-in theatre was built.
A purpose built Katanning Senior High School came into operation.

1961
Population 4,500 and the Katanning Road Board became Katanning Shire Council on 23rd June.

1962
Katanning went on to a deep sewage system.
The Museum was opened in Taylor St by the Katanning Historical Society.
First “Caboodle” public Christmas party held on Prosser Oval, a Katanning Rotary Club project.
The “silent policeman” (a traffic directing device) was removed from the centre of the intersection of Austral Terrace & Clive St (replaced by a “round-a-about” in 1988).
Pig sale yards opened at the Katanning sale yard complex and subsequently closed in 1994.
Apex Club of Katanning was chartered.

1969
Over 1969/70 steam locomotion was phased out to diesel locomotives.

1973
The abattoir opened in Katanning as Southern Meat Packers. This saw the arrival of the first families from Cocos and Christmas Island to work at the abattoir.
The Katanning Lions Club was chartered.

1975
The Katanning telephone exchange became automatic.

1977
The Katanning Flour Mill ceased operations and closed.

1978
Cyclone “Alby” caused wide spread damage and massive fires in the Great Southern, including Katanning.
Sir Marcus Beeck was knighted for services to agriculture. Both Sir Marcus and Sir Francis Burt were born on “Gannawarra” farm just north of Katanning.
The last passenger train between Perth and Albany ran. The line now used only for hauling grain on a seasonal basis.

1980
The WA Department of Agriculture bought Don Hoare’s farm as an experimental farm. This is situated to the east of town adjacent to the airport.
The Mosque was built in Katanning by the local Malay Islamic people.
The WA Department of Agriculture staff commenced operations at the farm.

1982
Last train (XA class diesel) ran on the Kojonup line – driver Max Bailey.

1983
First inland country Triathlon held in Katanning.

1986
“Kobeelya” closed as a boarding school and was purchased by the local Baptist Community.

1987
WA Department of Agriculture bought Peter Balston’s farm, also on Nyabing Rd, to add to its research operations.

1988
Bicentennial celebrations.
The Katanning Miniature Railway commenced operations at the entrance to Katanning.

1989
Marribank handed over to Aboriginal community.

1995
Gold mining commenced at Badgebup and closed in 1997 after recovering 22,000oz of gold.

1997
The Katanning Recreation and Leisure Centre opened – a major community project. It was the largest single undercover sporting facility in rural Australia at the time.
The Noongar Aboriginal centre opened.
The Ladyman family celebrated 100 years in area – they settled around Carrolup.

1998
Katanning won the National Landcare Award.
The Evans family purchased Wakes Garage for historical purposes.
The Heritage Gardens and Beeck Gazebo opened opposite the Town Hall.

1999
A new Library and Art Gallery opened in Austral Terrace, adjacent to the Shire Office. This was another major community project.
Operators of the abattoir, Metro Meat (owned by CITIC International) ceased and re-opened as WAMCO (Western Australian Meat Marketing Corp.).
Opening of Lion’s Aberdeen Village, a joint venture between the Katanning Shire, Homeswest and the Lions Club of Katanning.

2000
Opening of the second WA Department of Agriculture offices in town.
Refurbished railway carriages were placed adjacent to the railway station platform by Kanwork.

2001
Great Southern College of TAFE opened.
The Harris rotunda was erected at the cemetery.
The Great Southern Herald celebrated 100 years of continuous publication. The business is Katanning’s oldest continuous business.
The Fritz family (descendants of FH Piesse) purchased the Winery Ruins for restoration.

2002
The Great Southern Advocate was started as a community newspaper by local woman, Shirley Brokenshire.

2004
The Salvation Army closed after 111yrs of service to the community and the Citadel was sold to a private owner.

2005
The Shire of Katanning removed old railway carriages from near station, citing vandalism.

2006
Carrolup (Aboriginal) Art exhibition, was returned for display from the Colgate University in the US. The artworks were pained by aboriginal children housed at Carrolup many years earlier. They were taken to the US for a display and never returned.
The local Scout Association goes into recess and the Scout Hall is now used by local RSL
Reclaimed and restored Dongolocking School was transported to the museum site to be a dedicated School Museum.
In the financial year to 30-6-06 there were 990,386 sheep through the Katanning sale yards.
The Presbyterian Church celebrated 100yrs.

2007
Katanning Stock & Trading Co. celebrated 100 years in December (the oldest firm still operating from its
original position). It is currently owned by the van Koldenhoven family.

2008
Fairways on Katanning Country Club (Katanning Golf Club) were reticulated and grassed, using grey water from sewerage system.
The Katanning Miniature Railway celebrated 20 years.

2009
The ANZ Bank relocated to new premises near the Woolworths complex.
The local abattoir, now trading as WAMMCO, processed 1,000,000 sheep, exported to 55 countries.  It employs people of 22 different nationalities who all work in harmony.

2010
February 11 – official opening of the upgraded and revamped swimming pool on its original site.
The Page family commenced updating and upgrading its brickworks. It will be opened again early in the year by the third generation of the family.
November – The Great Southern Residential College (St Andrews) closed for student boarders, and was subsequently used as commercial boarding house.

2012
Shirley Brokenshire ceased publishing GSA, but continued with GSA Town Crier from Jan 2013.

2013
Shire confers Freeman of the Town on Brien Taylor, a local solicitor of long standing, among other achievements.

2014
May 28 – The new sheep sale yards were opened on Nyabing Road east of the town.  At 44,000 sq m under cover, with capacity for 45.000 sheep is the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere. Costing $25,000,000 dollars, it was built by Shire employees.

 

 

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save