Rogers Central Store

Rogers Central Store

ROGERS CENTRAL STORE

(Later Max Richardson Pty. Ltd.)

Rogers Central Store
Rogers Central Store in Clive Street c 1930

William John Rogers was an important member of the Katanning community and a very successful retailer who began with modest premises and expanded into his larger Rogers Central Store.
Rogers was also a major influence in the move to buy the Roller Flour Mill when it ran into trouble in the mid-1920s.
Other important contributions Rogers made to the town was his assistance (along with Richardson) in helping the Katanning Silver Band keep their new instruments, which were under threat of repossession with the advent of the Depression. Rogers also was involved in the establishment of the Country Women’s Association of W.A. (C.W.A.) branch in Katanning.

The store, therefore, has historical significance and social significance, being one of the largest retailers in the Great Southern at the time. The building also adds to the streetscape of Clive Street, with its various retail stores.

In 1901, W J Rogers arrived in Katanning and set about establishing his store. He purchased CA Harris’s Central Store in Clive Street and, by 1904, Rogers was ready to build his own much larger premises.

rogers central store lost katanning
In July 1904 tenders were called for the new Roger’s Store, the architect being F W Burwell of Fremantle. [GSH, 23/7/04] The new two-storey brick building had two entrances from Clive Street and three big windows for the drapery, boots, ironmongery and groceries. There was also provision for a big storeroom on the ground floor and on the top floor, there were an extensive showroom and spacious living quarters for the family. [GSH, 30/07/04] The former store is a two-storey brick building, with a flat corrugated iron roof concealed by a parapet.

The store is now occupied by various businesses, including Bakehouse Boutique, AMP Society, and a Katanning Travel Center.

rogers central store lost katanning

Rogers Central Store
Sadly, the beautiful covered verandah was removed in the mid-1970’s

The verandah has been removed so that the facade now appears stark as it has also been rendered and all the joinery has been replaced, including all the shop fronts. An undercover walkway was added to the arcade in April 2001.

rogers central store lost katanning

william john rogers
William John Rogers

William John Rogers

William  John Rogers was an important member of the Katanning community and a very successful retailer who began with modest premises and expanded into his larger Central Store. Rogers was also a major influence in the move to buy the Roller Flour Mill when it ran into trouble in the mid-1920s. Read more >>>

.

.

.

..’

Max Richardson Pty. Ltd.

Formerly Rogers Central Store

rogers central store lost katanning
The building as it stands today

Robert Maxwell Richardson was born in Katanning in 1907, the son of Robert Lawson and Eliza (nee King).

He was a merchant and business proprietor in his own right after joining the family company in 1924 and, in 1950, formed his own company with the purchase of Rogers Ltd in Katanning. He renamed the business Max Richardson Pty Ltd and eventually retired 1972.
He also served in WW2 1941 – 1945 and was educated at Guildford Grammar.

– – – oooOOooo – – –

Thanks to John Komorowski
For some of the photos on this page.