Mr. Richardson was born on December 30, 1862, at Dalveen, South Australia, to William and Jane (nee Rhind) Richardson.
He married Eliza King on 30 Sep 1885 in Georgetown, South Australia and the couple had seven daughters; Kathleen, Doris, Effie, Elaine, Elsa, Irvana, Myra, and one son; Max.
He entered into business on his own account at Clarendon in 1897 and, after five years he disposed of his connection and came to Western Australia, turning his steps to Katanning after a few months on the goldfields.
In 1904 he purchased an interest in the business of F. and C. Piesse, and later this was carried on under the name of Richardson and Co., with F.H. Piesse continuing his partnership with Mr. Richardson.
Under his wise guidance, not only was a generous measure of assistance rendered to the settlers throughout the district, but very rapid expansion of trade was made.
Branches were opened in the various outlying centres, and the people outback were given the full benefit of the complete and varied stocks held at Katanning.
A special feature was made of the produce business, the rule of the firm being to purchase for cash at full market rates eggs, butter, and every other farm product.
In 1908 a new wing was added to the Katanning premises, but still the turnover grew and the demand for space increased.
In March, 1924, the business was floated into a Limited Company under the present name of Richardson & Company Limited, with Mr. Richardson filling the position of Chairman of Directors.
In 1927 the premises at Katanning were purchased from the Estate of the late F. H. Piesse and, in November of the same year, a start was made with extensive additions and alterations which have gave the firm what was then the “finest retail establishment” outside the metropolitan area.
The death of Mr. Richardson in September, 1928, was a severe blow, but Mr. Harold V. Piesse has assumed the duties of Chairman of Directors, and the business continued on the same lines which had proved so successful in the course of years.
Robert Lawson Richardson was an active townsman, and carried out many plans for the improvement of the district, serving on various public bodies and holding office on the sporting bodies of the district.
He was an ardent bowler, and frequently played with his club on Albany greens in pennant competitions.
The Great Southern inter-district annual conference also retained his interest.
Mr. Richardson passed away on 5 September, 1928, after a long illness, and his wife, Eliza, passed away on 5 December, 1937, also after a long illness.