Police Pools – Twonkwillingup

Police Pools26062016-min

POLICE POOLS MEMORIAL

The memorial is in an area of natural bush 5 kms from Katanning on
Police Pools Road.
The stone memorial was erected by the Katanning Historical Society
in 1939, its first project as a group..
This is the camp site of the first police outpost in c1865.

The First Police Officers (Pensioner Guards):
Trooper T. McKenna : 1865 – 67
Trooper Wm Grover : 1867 – 70
Trooper E.M. Fahey : 1870
Daisy Bates also used this site when working in the area c1908.

TWONKWILLINGUP
Police Pools Nature Reserve

DSC00559-570x322

Twonkwillingup was an important meeting place and water source for local Aboriginals (Noongars) long before European settlement.
It came to be known as Police Pools after the area was used as an outpost of the Kojonup Police Station from 1865 – 1870.
It was the original campsite of the first Pensioner Guards (early policemen) in the Katanning district enabling them to visit isolated sandalwood cutters and early settlers in the area.
The policemen appointed to the post were Terrance McKenna, Constable William Grover, and Constable E.M. Fahey, serving for 2, 3, and 1 year respectively.
With the closure of the Police Post in 1871 and the settlement of Katanning in 1889, Police Pools became a highly popular recreational facility.
Between 1908 – 1909 Daisy Bates lived at the pools as part of her life long association with Aboriginal people.
She encouraged greater understanding amongst Europeans of traditional Aboriginal ways.
The opening of the Katanning swimming pool in 1938 (the first inland pool in Western Australia) saw a decline in visitors to the area.
However the site was still used for school excursions and local recreational activities.
In 1939, the Katanning branch of the Western Australian Historical Society erected a cairn to commemorate the first police outpost in the district and those who served there.
During the 1950’s there was a further decline in popularity as salinity became a problem, degrading the area.
Renewed interest was sparked during the early 1980’s, initiating the rehabilitation of the reserve during the 1990’s.
Funding was obtained through the Natural Heritage Trust in 1997 for extensive rehabilitation and revegetation works.
Local people and agencies carried out much of the work, including planning, earthworks, flora and fauna surveys and monitoring.
Native flora species have been established along a boardwalk through the wetlands, enabling easy access to the entire site.